JGF scholar gives thanks by giving back
Bryan Estillore, 21, an instructor at the Don Bosco Training Center in San Jose City, Nueva Ecija, credits being a Jollibee Group Foundation (JGF) scholar for where he is now.
Currently an instructor for Don Bosco’s Organic Agricultural Production (OAP) program, Bryan was at a loss on how to continue his education three years ago. Coming from a family of farmers barely eking out a living from less than a hectare of land in the hills of Carranglan, Nueva Ecija, Bryan took on a job at an agro-chemical factory to help his family and save enough for college education.
When his mother got a job in Malaysia, Bryan applied for a slot at Don Bosco’s Automotive Servicing program. He was accepted and later elated that his mother’s remittances could be used for other necessities as he also got a scholarship courtesy of JGF thru its Access, Curriculum, and Employability (ACE) Scholarship Program.
ACE is one of the Foundation’s core programs. Since 2005, it has partnered with different schools to provide technical-vocational and college scholarships to over 1,700 underprivileged but deserving youth. In addition to financial support, scholars acquire the necessary skills that will prepare them for the workplace through internships with the Jollibee Foods Corporation’s service providers and stores.
As an ACE scholar, Bryan received tuition fee support and a monthly travel allowance. Along with other JGF scholars, he also participated in the Matalas na Alas (Sharp ACE) workshop, a two-day life skills training to further sharpen their communication and social abilities, and prepare them for the workplace.
While Bryan’s intentions for getting an Automotive Servicing certification was to be able to work abroad, his experience as a JGF scholar, as well as coming from a farming family, made him decide to join Don Bosco’s Organic Agriculture Program as one of its first batch of trainees, to give back to others for the blessings he has received.
Bryan coaching one of his students on how to make organic concoctions (fertilizers).
Bryan has now been involved in training two full batches of agriculture students, some 50 in all and mostly JGF scholars as well. Don Bosco is now awaiting TESDA approval for it to be a Certification site for organic agriculture.
“Teaching is my way of helping the youth who don’t have the means to study. Our goal is to encourage more young people to take interest in agriculture to help attain food security for communities. We teach students that they can be more than farm laborers; they can become farm technicians or farm managers,” he said.
Despite foregoing his dreams of going abroad, Bryan is happy with his choice of becoming an instructor for agriculture. He feels that the opportunities to do good in this field far outweighs the monetary rewards of going abroad.
Bryan with some of his students and their organic concoctions. They are joined by Edgardo Villamante, one of Bryan’s mentors from the San Jose City Agriculture Office.
Apply for a scholarship on agri tech-voc courses!
Apply for a scholarship on QSR operations!
TECH-VOC PROGRAM IN QUICK SERVICE RESTAURANT (QSR) OPERATIONS APPLICATION PROCEDURE
- Interested applicant shall take the entrance exam at Anihan Technical School, Brgy. Tulo, Calamba City, Laguna. Testing period is from Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. Look for the Registrar. Walk-in applicants will be entertained. You will be informed, right after, if you’ve passed or failed the exam.
- If you pass the entrance exam, you will be given an application form (or background information sheet) and the Registrar will schedule an interview for you and your parent/s or guardian. You’ll receive a text message, 3-5 days after the interview, if you’ve successfully qualified for the scholarship. Once qualified, please start compiling and accomplishing the following set of documents:
- Parents Marriage Certificate (clear photocopy)
- Baptismal Certificate (clear photocopy)
- Certificate of Income Tax Exemption from BIR (Original) or Certificate of Indigency from the Barangay (original)
- Certificate of Good Moral Character from SHS (Original)
- Senior High School Report Card (Form 137) (Original)
- 1” x 1” sized ID Pictures (4 pieces, blue background. Wear sleeves and collar)
- PSA (formerly NSO) Birth Certificate (original)
- Medical Test Results (Original)
- Chest X-Ray
- Submit your complete set of documents on or before Thursday, February 28, 2019. We encourage you to submit these files as early as possible to give ample time for Anihan to process all your documents. Please take note that you will only be considered enrolled once ALL documents have been submitted to Anihan.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is Jollibee Group Foundation’s (JGF) tech-voc scholarship in Quick Service Restaurant Operations?JGF’s scholarship in QSR Operations is a 12-month, tech-voc course consisting of units in Bread and Pastry Production, Cookery, and Food and Beverage Services. Aside from these, the course provides administrative units essential in the QSR industry including Point-of-Sales system, stock inventories, and other related administrative tasks.
Scholars will undergo a six-month in-school training and a six-month on-the-job training
(OJT) at a reputable food service industry partner.
- Where will scholars study?Scholars’ in-school training will be held at Anihan Technical School (“Anihan”) in Calamba City, Laguna. Anihan is a technical-vocational institute established in 1986 and is owned by the Foundation for Professional Training, Inc. (FPTI), a non-profit organization promoting lifelong development for women.
For the OJT, scholars will be assigned in various locations in South Luzon and Metro Manila where industry partners of Anihan are located. You may visit their website http://www.anihanschool.com/ for more info.
- What are the eligibilities for applying?Interested applicants must meet the following requirements:
- ✓ Female, single and 18-21 years old
- ✓ No misconduct record
- ✓ At least 80% scholastic average
- ✓ SHS Graduate or will graduate before June 2019
- ✓ Combined family income of ₱200,000 or less
- ✓ Willing to study and stay in Calamba City, Laguna for one year
- What qualifications will I earn after the Program?Graduates of the certificate course will earn the following TESDA National Certificate II (NCII) in:
- Bread and Pastry Production
- Food and Beverage Services
The OJT, meanwhile, will provide you with work experience and link you to food industry partners and job placement options.
- If I already graduated from an SHS-TVL food-related track, isn’t it repetitive to study food service again?No, the Program will not be repeating the same SHS curriculum that you have already taken. The course is designed to supplement and further develop competencies you earned in Senior High School. Another unique feature of the course is a focus on administrative competencies as applied in the context of QSR operations.
In partnership with Jollibee Group Foundation, Anihan also provides strong character development through their curriculum and life skills training. The course will hone you in a more holistic manner to become a food service management professional in the future.
- I want to work right after SHS! How can the Program help me achieve my goal?The course aims to prepare SHS completers who are immediately aiming for gainful employment but may not be professionally and personally ready yet. Anihan and Jollibee Group Foundation will help scholars develop their knowledge and skills and link them up to job opportunities and industry partners during the Program.
- What will the scholarship grant cover?The JGF Scholarship Grant will cover the following:
- Tuition and Technical Fees
- Other Fees (uniform, seminars, graduation)
- Lodging Allowance (for both in-school and on-the-job training)
- Meal Allowance (for the in-school components: first 6 months)
- How do I apply?You may directly apply with Anihan Technical School under the Jollibee Group Foundation Scholarship. Look for Ms. Cherryl Sze (0917-658-1806), Program Coordinator, to schedule your entrance exam and interview.